Tuesdays, I'm going to try to show up and share the thankfulness. (I know, Thankful Thursday sounds better, but I'm already trying to do the RWOP thing on Thursdays, and that's enough, right?)
It makes everything look a little better at 5:30 on a Tuesday (most often, a solo-parenting gig night) if I'm staring at the frozen box of pizza still not in the oven and the pools of melting children circling the kitchen island through the lens of "what am I going to say I was thankful for today?"
I'd rather write some thoughtful composed essay, but for today, I'm settling for some bullet points.
Thanks be for:
- Total uninhibited, unbridled peals of laughter bouncing from one of three kids to the others.
- A sixteen month old's thrill for attention that makes him throw the stuffed animal, then hit someone with a pastry brush, over and over and over again to make them laugh even harder.
- Watching American Idol at naptime with my girl. Who sighs and says "Enchanting..." when a girl with an angel voice sings a song.
- The sight of toddler legs pumping in a waddly run as fast as they can to run away with someone's something he is not supposed to have. Then seeing his grin over his shoulder right before he throws his entire body into a couch cushion to "hide."
- Taking turns reading with sweet O., who is really truly, finally doing it. Slowly, and methodically, but with pride and accomplishment and NOT frustration. It is one of the best things yet about being his mom. He reads me a O. speed book, and I read him a chapter, or two, or three. We're back into The Magic Tree House series, after a year or so's break. We also got the chance to see Hugo together, after reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret before Christmas. O. is calling this his favorite story now, and feel so honored to have shared it with him. Have you read this book yet? If not, you really should. I'm hoping against all hope this boy will still want to read with me on his way to high school.
- Having my family to dinner after watching the twins again for the first time in a while. Conversation, food, drink and N. keeping my cousin (who she has only met twice before) completely in her thrall the whole time. (And many thanks to him for being so indulgent of her). Snuggles and smiles with babies all day beforehand.
- Swimming session in our indoor pool (aka Mommy and Daddy's bathtub) on a January afternoon. For N., just because she saw her Fourth of July swimsuit, it made her think of her cousin S., and she needed to put it on. Saved me from having to bathe all three children at bedtime tonight.
- Plans for exercise tomorrow -- mall walking with my friend and her baby while N. is at school. I need the movement and the company.
And that's all I can think of right this very minute, though I know there are plenty plenty more. What about you? Feel free to share your own Thankful Tuesday thoughts in a comment.